Saturday, January 12, 2013

Mid-January, ALREADY?!?

Wow....if I'm going to do TEN posts this month, I've got my work cut out for me!!  I can do it, though.  This is number 2 for January so I've got 19 days to post 8 more times.  No PROBLEM!!
 
So what's the 'haps out here in Afghanistan, you ask?  Well....we seem to stay busy every day....and every day seems like groundhog day at the same time.  Time really IS flying.  We've been in country almost three months now....with less than six to go.  It will be over before we know it and I'll be enjoying a Miller Lite on the dock at the cabin and regaling my friends and family with stories from Afghanistan.  "So there I was....."
 
I'm enjoying the tour here, but it definitely makes me appreciate what I have at home.  Just simple creature comforts....having a bathroom IN the house, actually NEAR the bedroom so if you have to get up in the middle of the night to go, it's padding 10 steps in the warmth of the house rather than putting a sweatshirt on, feeling around for flip-flops, going out in the cold passageway of our "chalet", stumbling over the gravel to the bathroom next door and then doing the reverse when you're done.  Such a simple thing, and it's not a big deal....but one that I can't WAIT to be done with.  Another, obviously, is the shower thing.  Will be so nice to be able to get in the shower and be able to keep the water running when I'm soaping up, and brush my teeth in the shower like I used to do.  I miss that.  Even though I'm not a very good cook (sorry, Jason!! :), I miss being ABLE to cook my own food and try out new recipes if I want.  It's a small freedom that I didn't realize I'd miss until I got here and must eat what is put in front of me.  Don't get me wrong....the food is EXCELLENT, but definitely not the same as having your own kitchen at your disposal.  I miss having privacy.  I haven't shared a home, much less a ROOM in years....and for someone who gets refreshed from being alone, it gets trying sometimes to be around people almost every waking (and sleeping) minute of the day.  So I will enjoy getting back and getting my own place again....
 
And I obviously the thing I miss MOST is my family and friends.  Will be nice to be able to pick up the phone and call one of my sisters or my friends to catch up or to vent to after a long day.  We can call from here, yes, but there is a time-delay that I can't STAND and the time-difference makes it difficult.  I'm lucky to be able to communicate with them all via email or FB, and I'm really lucky to be able to text, message and call my boyfriend a lot....but it's not the same as being stateside.  And I really can't wait to get back and re-establish those connections that mean so much to me!!
 
Anyway....enough of what I don't have....believe it or not, I'm very thankful for everything I DO have.  I'm a lucky girl in a myriad of ways.  More in a couple of days!!  :)

1 comment:

  1. Ma'am,

    Great posts, heading to that AO soon. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete